Sculpted abs are certainly sought after by many, but the benefits of a strong core are not limited to looks. Ab wheel rollers not only work your abs, but also your sides and lower back.
The entire torso area is packed with stabilizer muscles, which help to support the spine and your whole body. The ab wheel roller engages all of these muscles.
The first ab wheel roller was patented in 1968, but it didn’t become popular until the 1980s. It is a pretty simple piece of equipment: a wheel with a handle on either side.
The Best Ab Wheel Rollers
We’ve done the research for you and reviewed five of the best ab rollers on the market today.
1. Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller
Whether you’re a fitness pro or not, the Perfect Fitness ab carver pro roller can help you achieve your goals. It was invented by a former Navy Seal and provides an ultra-wide wheel for stability and comfort.
Designed to easily allow movements to the right and left, it’s sturdy, supporting more weight without wobbling or shaking. This ab wheel roller helps you to keep proper form when exercising and not hurt your back, even if you are a beginner.
It features a one-of-a-kind steel carbon spring inside. The spring offers more resistance when rolling out and assists you when rolling back to starting position. In terms of working your core, it makes your muscles work harder, while still protecting your back.
The ab roller has an external rubber grip to prevent losing control of the wheel, and also preserve flooring. Some ab rollers, used regularly over time, might scratch or damage your floors.
- Comfortable and stable.
- Made to last.
- Safe, designed to prevent losing control.
- Handles can be removed for storage.
- Foam knee-pads to protect your knees.
- Free 21-day workout plan for any fitness level.
- 1-year manufacturer warranty included.
- It’s slightly heavier than regular ab wheel rollers.
- Some users reported that it may be uncomfortable for very tall people to use.
2. Elite Sportz Equipment Ab Wheel Roller
The characteristic of this ab roller is that it features two wheels. This provides added balance, and will give you greater confidence when exercising. It is very smooth, lightweight and easy to use.
It is already assembled, and ready to go. You can refer to the company’s website for workout videos to keep you motivated.
Elite Sportz has a solid reputation when it comes to quality. This ab roller is made to last a lifetime. If you’re not happy with the results, you will get your money back. Customer satisfaction is the company’s top priority.
- Double wheel for added stability.
- Easy to use.
- Non-slip handles.
- Money back guarantee.
- Some users reported the wheels are too small.
- May not be sturdy enough for some users.
3. Oileus Ab Roller Wheel
The first thing you’ll notice is the different design of this ab wheel roller. It has a double wheel, extra-wide rolling belt. This provides optimal stability, resistance when rolling out, and assistance when rolling back.
There are direction marks to help you use it correctly. It is very sturdy, and designed not to leave marks on any surface. It is easy to assemble, and comes with a high-quality knee mat. You can disassemble it to carry it with you anywhere.
- Two wheels and extra-wide rolling belt ensure stability.
- Very sturdy.
- Does not damage flooring.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Comes with knee mat.
- One user reported it does not stretch out far enough.
- One user said the knee mat was not soft or thick enough.
4. SKLZ Core Wheels Dynamic Strength
The SKLZ model is made of two separate wheels, one for each hand. This allows for a greater range of motion in all different directions. You can use it to take push ups and planks to a whole new level.
It is lightweight, so you can easily carry it with you. It works all your upper body muscles, with a variety of exercises. It comes with a training guide.
- Two separate wheels allow for greater variety of movements.
- Work many different muscles.
- Training guide included.
- Not easy to use for beginners.
- Work shoulders more than abs.
5. King Athletic Ab-Roller Wheel
The King Athletic Ab Roller Wheel is made with resistant, environmentally safe materials. It features a double traction wheel, and is held together by a sturdy, metal shaft.
It is easy to disassemble, and designed for people always on the go. It comes with two free e-books to help you with your workout routines and nutrition.
King Athletic’s mission is promoting health and fitness as a lifestyle. This is why the company gives you a 200% money back guarantee. This means you can have a refund and a new ab roller wheel if you’re not completely satisfied.
- Sturdy, environmentally safe materials.
- Easy to use for any fitness level.
- Two free e-books covering workouts and nutrition.
- 200% money back guarantee.
- Some users reported it was not smooth enough.
- Does not easily roll sideways.
A Buying guide to Ab Rollers
Why Use an Ab Wheel Roller?
So why is this important? Having a strong core:
- Improves posture and balance.
- Protects you from muscular injuries.
- Relieves lower back pain caused by weak muscles or poor posture.
How to Use an Ab Wheel Roller
Beginners should follow the steps below
- Start in a kneeling position.
- Grasp the handles with your hands, palms downwards.
- Roll out in front of you slowly keeping your abs tight.
- Use your abs, not hips, to roll slowly back to the starting position.
- Tuck your chin a bit not to strain your neck and back.
- Move slowly not to lose control of the wheel.
- Start with fewer repetitions and increase the load over time, when you are stronger and feel comfortable using the ab wheel roller
Tip: Never arch your back or let your back sag. Your back muscles should be strong enough to support you when you roll out and back. If not, consider doing some core exercises to strengthen your lower back before you start using the ab wheel roller.
It is important to keep the torso and arms straight. Proper form is essential if you don’t want to end up injuring yourself. Your lower back needs to be toned enough to support you and not sag during the exercise.
Start slowly and with few repetitions, and then build up your workout as you become stronger. To work your obliques, instead of rolling in front, you will roll to the left and to the right. There are many exercise variations to try once you get comfortable with this piece of equipment.
What to Consider when Purchasing an Ab Wheel Roller
There are four main features that you should think about before buying:
The wheel(s) should move smoothly, on whatever type of surface you wish to exercise.
No matter what your weight is, the ab wheel roller needs to support you. It should be made with resistant materials.
The handles should feel comfortable when you use the ab wheel roller. You should be able to exercise your core without placing unnecessary strain on any other part of your body.
An ab wheel roller should be made to last, not break or feel shaky when you use it over time.
Different Types of Ab Wheel Rollers
Even if this is a pretty basic piece of equipment, there are different models available. Some have two wheels for improved stability. Others have one extra-wide wheel for the same purpose.
There’s even an ab roller that has two separate wheels, one for each hand. There are colorful versions and models with foam handles for comfort, sliding ones, and those that come with brakes.
Pros of Using an Ab Wheel Roller
Let’s say that you don’t have time to hit the gym. Simply learn to use an ab wheel roller properly. You will be able to tone your abs, back, sides, and even your shoulders, legs, arms, and wrists. You can get a full-body workout using one simple piece of equipment in the comfort of your own home.
They’re available in a variety of models, so you can find the best fit for you.
The main purpose of an ab wheel roller is strengthening your core. This means:
- The spine is supported.
- Back and abs are strong.
- Balance and posture improve.
- Limbs have a powerful, balanced base to support movement.
- A strong core supports your entire body.
Cons of Using an Ab Wheel Roller:
- If you’re a beginner, you must start slowly, especially if you’re unsure of your level of fitness.
- Incorrect form can cause injury and place excessive pressure on the lower back.
Although all our chosen products will do the job well, my choice of the best ab roller has to be the Perfect Fitness ab carver pro roller. I always use an ab wheel roller at the gym as part of my ab routine. What I particularly like about this model is that it scores very high on all the important characteristics.
It rolls very smoothly and feels safe to use. The handles are comfortable, so you can use it for long workouts, maximizing gains. Finally, it is very sturdy, and I’m confident it will not let you down, session after session.