Pre-workouts can take our training—whether cardio, weightlifting, or HIIT—to entirely new levels.
The problem is, some of the ingredients can cause unwanted side effects.
Luckily, there’s a solution. This article brings you the best non stimulant pre workout supplements available—for the cleanest performance enhancement.
The 5 Best Non Stimulant Pre Workout Supplements
Let me take you through what I consider to be the best non-stimulant pre-workout supplements on the market.
1. Genius Pre Workout Powder by the Genius Brand
I would look upon this to be the best non stimulant pre workout supplement currently available. With a large dose of citrulline (6 grams), this ranks amongst the highest you will see in any pre-workout—even the standard versions. Thus providing increased pumps and boosting strength.
In addition to the lactic-acid killer beta-alanine and stamina-raising betaine, it also includes Alpha-GPC to ensure your mind is concentrating fully on exercise—not drifting away to thoughts of work and finance.
Key ingredients per 15.8-gram serving:
- Citrulline 6 grams (38 percent).
- Betaine 2 grams (13 percent).
- Beta-alanine 2 grams (13 percent).
- Alpha GPC 600 mg (4 percent).
- No proprietary blends.
- High doses of citrulline, betaine, beta-alanine, and Alpha GPC.
- Includes arginine as an additional nitric oxide booster.
- Respected manufacturer.
- Covers all aspects of performance enhancement.
- Only 20 servings per container.
2. PUMPSURGE Caffeine-Free Pump & Nootropic Pre Workout by Jacked Factory
Coming in at #2 in this best stimulant-free pre-workout supplement list is this powerful supplement.
I would consider Pumpsurge the best product for those looking to obtain the cleanest of all non-stimulant pre-workouts—it concentrates on just six ingredients. This could make it appealing to people who don’t wish to overload their physiology with numerous compounds.
It contains effective doses of the essential ingredients citrulline, betaine, and Alpha-GPC, with additional taurine to improve recovery, huperzine for increased mental clarity, and AstraGin to help absorption.
Key ingredients per 13-gram serving:
- Citrulline 5 grams (38 percent).
- Betaine 2 grams (15 percent).
- Astragin 25 mg (0.2 percent).
- Alpha GPC 150 mg (1 percent).
- Good doses of citrulline, betaine, and Alpha-GPC.
- Available in two flavors.
- Easily dissolvable.
- Made in the USA.
- Money back guarantee.
- Lacks the stamina-building beta-alanine.
- Only 20 servings.
3. Shred Nitro - Caffeine Free Premium Nitric Oxide Boosting Pre Workout by Sheer Strength Labs
This could prove to be the best non-stimulant pre-workout supplement for men and women whose priority is explosive power and impressive muscle definition.
It includes citrulline and arginine, both proven nitric oxide boosters—a compound which opens the blood vessels flooding the muscles with oxygenated blood for strength and size.
Key ingredients per 12.2-gram serving:
- Citrulline 6 grams (49 percent).
- Betaine 1.5 grams (12 percent).
- Bioperine 5 mg (0.04 percent).
- Powerful nitric oxide booster—contains the highest percentage of citrulline of all the products listed here.
- A solid dose of betaine.
- Includes the proven performance enhancer Bioperine.
- Although it lacks Alpha-GPC, it does include the focus booster huperzine.
- Not the best all-around pre-workout supplement.
- Includes artificial sweeteners.
4. RSP Pump Boost - Stimulant Free Pre Workout by RSP Nutrition
Possibly the best non stimulant pre workout supplement for those who just want a gentle boost to their exercise sessions—not to take training to the absolute limit.
This is due to the fact that this product includes an effective dose of the power-creating muscle oxygenator citrulline—but not so high that it will cause a shirt-splitting pump appearance.
Key ingredients per 6-gram serving:
- Citrulline 2.5 grams (42 percent).
- Coconut Water 250 mg (4 percent).
- Glycerol 1.5 grams (25 percent).
- The best caffeine free pre workout for those who have a delicate constitution.
- Could suit people who do a little gentle exercise at home.
- Proven ingredients of citrulline, glycerol, and coconut water.
- Small serving may suit those who don’t enjoy drinking nutritional shakes.
- Unsuitable for the hardcore fitness enthusiast.
- Lacks beta-alanine, betaine, and Alpha-GPC.
5. Onnit Total Strength and Performance - Stimulant-Free Pre-Workout Supplement by ONNIT
A supplement with a slightly different take on ingredients. This could be interpreted as the best non stimulant pre workout supplement for those who like the appeal of earth-grown compounds.
Additionally, this pre-workout is strengthened with BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) required to build muscle.
Key ingredients per 10.4-gram serving:
All the above are unquantified as part of proprietary blends.
- All the active pre-workout ingredients are unquantified.
- Lacks betaine, citrulline, and Alpha-GPC.
Informational guide to Non-Stimulant Pre-Workout Supplements
What Is a Non Stimulant Pre Workout?
Let’s start with the basics—pre-workouts themselves.
These are products consumed before exercise which can improve performance. The theory is, the harder you work the more results you will achieve, whether that’s weight loss, muscle gain, or cardiovascular improvement.
They do this in four main ways:
- Elevating energy levels.
- Reducing fatigue.
- Improving post-training recovery time.
- Increasing focus and concentration.
The best pre-workouts contain particular ingredients that have been proven in scientific studies to achieve these goals.
However, in many cases, the ingredients used to raise energy are stimulants. These are compounds which, for a short time, increase activity within the central nervous system—boosting feelings of alertness and vitality.
But in addition to their positive aspects—they can also cause adverse health issues.
Hence, the best non stimulant pre workout supplement is one which provides all the above four performance benefits—but without the stimulants.
Instead, they use ingredients which enhance training activity—yet don’t create an artificial short-term “buzz.”
What to Check for in the Best Non-Stimulant Pre Workout Supplements
Hopefully, if a supplement is marketed as stimulant-free, it shouldn’t contain any central nervous system boosters.
However, that’s not always the case.
Some products may claim to be free of these ingredients—but still slip them in. To ensure you obtain the best non stimulant pre workout supplement, watch out for:
- Yohimbine—made from the bark of African trees and has been used to treat narcolepsy.
- Synephrine—a naturally occurring stimulant found in plants and often used for weight loss.
- DMAA—an amphetamine-like compound which was banned in 2012, although can still be found in some pre-workouts online.
- Caffeine—extracted from seeds and nuts, this stimulant both increases energy and creates focus.
What Are the Benefits of Non Stimulant Pre Workout Supplements?
Everyone reacts differently to stimulants. Our tolerance levels can be affected by age, weight, sex, exposure, and genetics.
The stimulant most commonly found in standard pre-workouts is caffeine. Although widely available, affordable, and effective—it’s one which also causes the most issues. Here’s a doctor explaining the downsides.
Using the best non stimulant pre workout supplements means that you receive the benefits of:
- Peaceful slumber—many of us exercise in the evenings after work, stimulants taken too close to bedtime can cause insomnia.
- A better mood—using stimulants can make you feel “on edge” and induce agitation.
- Feeling healthy—stimulants can cause diarrhea, headaches, elevated heartbeat, and high blood pressure.
- Avoiding “crashing”—an awful come-down experience when the stimulant wears off—similar to the mother-of-all hangovers.
What to Look for in the Best Non Stimulant Pre Workout Supplements
Choosing the best non stimulant pre workout supplements means finding one that best suits your needs.
Here are a couple of things to look out for:
The best non stimulant pre workout supplements will contain compounds that are known to vastly elevate performance—check for:
- Citrulline—increases the visible size of muscle (pumps) through improved blood delivery; also boosts muscle growth by raising protein synthesis and elevating growth hormone.
- Betaine—an amino acid which can increase strength, power, stamina, and endurance.
- Beta-alanine—lactic acid builds up in the muscle during exercise, causing both pain and fatigue; this compound can inhibit its production.
- Alpha-GPC—a compound known to increase brain activity and therefore raise focus.
Often supplements will have a “mix” of ingredients packed together in a proprietary blend. You can recognize these on product labels as the different compounds will be grouped together and their total dosage indicated—not the individual quantities.
This can make rating the products slightly difficult, as it’s impossible to see if the compounds are in effective doses.
Wherever possible, avoid supplements with these blends (sometimes referred to as a “complex” or “matrix”).
From all the products looked at in this article, my choice for the best non stimulant pre workout supplement would be Genius.
This is a powerful product.
Loaded with hefty doses of the proven enhancers Alpha-GPC, betaine, beta-alanine, and citrulline—this supplement will provide focus, strength, endurance, and energy.
While some of the others may deliver in particular areas, as I see it, this is the only non-stimulant performance enhancer that covers all the bases in an effective workout.
So, if you are aiming for off the scale workouts, without the side effects, Genius Pre Workout could be a solid contender.